- 2 cups wholewheat breadcrumbs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dried mixed fruit
- grated rind of 1 small orange
- juice of 1 small orange
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp mixed baking spices
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup green apples, grated
- ⅗ cup skim milk
- 5 tbsp granular sugar-free sweetener
- 4 tbsp margarine
- 1 tsp liquid gravy browning
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp margarine to grease dish
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the carrots and apples.
- Put the milk, sweetener, margarine and gravy browning into a small saucepan and warm gently until the margarine has melted.
- Cool and add to the dry ingredients along with the fruit juice, egg and 2 tbsp brandy.
- Mix well together. Pour into a greased baking dish, cover with a lid or foil.
- Steam for 5 hours by placing covered dish in a heavy kettle over 1 inch of boiling water.
- Cover kettle. allow to cool, cover with foil and store in a cool dry place.
- Use within 7 – 10 days. Steam for 2 hours on the day the pudding is required.
- To serve, warm 2 tbsp reserved brandy in a large serving spoon or ladle, ignite and pour over pudding.
- The flamed pudding may be served with clear brandy sauce or a sugar-free egg custard sauce, flavored with brandy.
- Sauce blend the cornstarch with a little cold water and stir into the boiling water.
- Boil for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and add brandy and sweetener.
Nutritional information Edit
For ⅛ pudding:
- 220 cal | 30 grams carbohydrate | 5 grams fiber | 5 grams protein | 8 grams fat.
For ⅛ sauce:
- 50 cal | negligible carb.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.