Her Majesty's baked chicken
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: My old recipes
- Serves 6 to 8
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 fryers, cut in quarters (2 lbs each)
- pepper to taste
- ¼ lb butter
- 1 cup dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1 jar mushrooms (3 oz)
- ¼ cup chopped blanched almonds
- parsley bouquet
- In oblong ovenproof glass baking dish, put strips of bacon lengthwise.
- Put the cut fryers over bacon, skin side up.
- Sprinkle with salt land pepper to taste.
- Dot with butter and pour wine around chicken.
- Cover pan with foil, crimping around edges.
- Bake at 275°F for 1 hour.
- Remove foil, baste and raise oven temperature to 300°F.
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Baste twice.
- Add peas and drained mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with almonds and cook 15 to 20 minute more, basting at intervals until chicken is golden and almonds are toasted.
- If desired, sprinkle a little wine over all just before removing from oven.
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika and garnish with parsley bouquets.
- You may want to add some new potatoes when removing the foil.
- They will cook in about 30 minutes and will brown beautifully with the chicken if turned once or twice during cooking process.
Potatoes added to roasts, baked fowl or fish at the last stage of cooking are referred to as potatoes Franconia.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.