- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup pomegranate molasses
- 2 cups coarsely ground walnuts
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon saffron (dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water)
- 4 – 5 lbs fryer chicken or duck, cut up
- Combine pomegranate molasses, ground walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, turmeric, and saffron. Set aside.
- Clean chicken removing unnecessary bones and skin.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place chopped onion and 3 tbsp olive oil in a pot and saute 3 minutes.
- Then add the chicken pieces, salt, pepper, and turmeric.
- Add 1 cup of water and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the pomegranate mixture and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes longer (check water and add some if it is necessary).
- Add a bit more sugar if you want the sauce sweeter.
- Transfer to a deep serving pot, cover, and place in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with rice.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.