- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- non-stick vegetable oil spray
- 1½ cups grated Gruyère cheese (about 6 ounces)
- Place one 12-cup muffin pan and one 6-cup muffin pan in oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Whisk the flour and the salt in a medium bowl to blend.
- Heat the milk in a heavy, small saucepan over a medium heat until very warm, about 125°f.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk the warm milk into eggs.
- Gradually stir the flour mixture into the milk mixture just to blend (batter may still be slightly lumpy).
- Remove the hot muffin pans from oven.
- Spray the pans with nonstick spray.
- Spoon ¼ cup batter into each of the16 muffin cups.
- Top each with 1½ tablespoons cheese.
- Bake until puffed and deep brown, for about 40 minutes.
- Remove popovers from pan.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.