This recipe taken from www.Portuguese-recipes.com
- Makes 10 sandwiches.
- 3 lbs. of pork blade meat, cut into 1½ inch pieces
- ¾ lb. of pork liver, cut into 1½ inch pieces( this you can leave out if so desire)
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
Spice Bag Ingredients Edit
- 2 tablespoons of chopped red peppers
- 2 tablespoons of pickling spice
- 2 tablespoons of whole allspice
- 5 bay leaves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic or 5 cloves sliced thin
- Put the meat into a 2-quart saucepot.
- Add water to just below the top of the meat.
- Add vinegar, salt and red peppers to the pot and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Tie the spices and garlic securely in a piece of cheesecloth.
- Bury this in the middle of the saucepan.
- Marinate in the refrigerator at least 24 hours.
- You will need a cheesecloth for this step.
- When your ready to prepare the caciola simmer for 3 hours on low heat.
- Cook until the meat is tender.
- Remove the spice bag when broth is flavored to your liking (around 2 hours).
- Serve with Portuguese rolls.
- If you want to serve it as an entrée, add cut potatoes to the caciola in last half hour.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.