For the dough:
For the filling:
- 325g/-12oz Minced Pork
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 capsicum (sweet pepper), chopped
- 50g/2oz raisins
- 1 tbsp capers, chopped if large
- 10 pimento stuffed , chopped
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 to 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teasp freshly chopped oregano
- 1/2 teasp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles a coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the water a little at a time and mix with a knife until the pastry begins to bind together. Using your hands, form the pastry into a ball then cover with clingfilm and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the Pork and lightly brown on all sides.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients, mix well and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Set aside until you are ready to assemble the empanadas.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm/1/8th inch thickness then cut into 8 circles using a plate or small saucepan lid.
- Divide the filling between the pastry circles then brush the edges of the pastry with a little water, fold over to create semi circles and press the edges firmly together with a fork making sure they are well sealed.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg and bake for 20–30 minutes until golden brown.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.