- 24 (about 2 ounces each) portabella mushroom caps
- olive oil, as needed
- salt, as needed
- coarsely ground black pepper,as needed
- 2¼ cups mayonnaise
- 7 tbsp lemon juice, divided
- 8 California avocados
- 24 round sandwich buns
- 24 one-ounce slices pepper jack cheese
- 24 lettuce leaves
- 24 thin slices tomato
- Brush each portabella cap with oil; sprinkle well with salt and lightly with pepper.
- Arrange on a sheet pan.
- Mix mayonnaise with 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 1½ teaspoons pepper; reserve.
- Just before service, peel and roughly diced avocados with 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) lemon juice.
Per order Edit
- Toast bun.
- Meanwhile heat 1 portabella cap on the grill or in a hot frying pan.
- When bun is ready.
- Spread ½ tablespoon seasoned mayonnaise on each cut side.
- Put portabella, stem side up on bottom of bun; fill cap with ⅓ cup diced avocado.
- Top avocado with 1 slice cheese.
- Heat in a hot oven until cheese begins to melt, about 2 minutes.
- Top with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 slice tomato, and top of bun.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.