- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 med onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder, heaping
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1½ lbs portobello mushrooms, cut in ½" cubes
- 1 can (28 oz.) Italian plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1 can (19 oz.) red kidney beans
- ½ tsp freshly grated black pepper, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- In a large heavy pan heat oil and saute onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cayenne pepper and continue to sauté for 1 minute. Adding spice to the oil intensifies their flavour. If they are added to the liquid their full flavour will not be realized.
- Add diced portobello mushrooms and sauté until softened (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, and salt. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 40 minutes.
- Serve topped with grated Cheddar cheese, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.