- 6 cloves garlic
- 1½ cups non-fat milk
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 6 to 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 medium leeks (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 6 slices fat-free sharp cheddar singles
- 4 green onions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp paprika
- In small saucepan, combine garlic, ½ cup milk and oil. Cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until garlic is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put potatoes into large saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Lightly coat ovenproof casserole with cooking spray. In large saucepan, combine ½ cup water with cabbage, leeks and cauliflower. Cook over medium heat until water evaporates and vegetables are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and stir over low heat, 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Gradually add remaining 1 cup milk, stirring until well blended. Return pan to heat, and stir until sauce thickens. Add cheese slices, and stir until cheese is melted, and sauce is smooth. Spoon cabbage-leek mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- When garlic is tender, squeeze cloves from their skins into milk-oil cooking liquid. Pour liquid into potatoes; mash with fork, leaving skins and some lumps. Mash in green onion slices, and black pepper to taste. Top cabbage-leek mixture with garlic mashed potatoes. Sprinkle potatoes with paprika.
- Bake until potatoes brown and filling is hot, about 25 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.