Source: Prodigy Guest Chefs Cookbook by Abby Mandel
- 16 small new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tbsp dried tarragon
- 2 bratwursts (precooked or fresh pork, veal or turkey)
- 2 medium Spanish onions cut into ½-in dice
- 1⅓ cup petite frozen peas
- 1⅓ cup small-diced carrots
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 4 large green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp beer, (can be leftover)
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse cracked black pepper
- Boston lettuce leaves for serving
- Put potatoes in 3-quart pot. Cover with water.
- Add salt and tarragon. Add fresh bratwursts, if using.
- Bring to boil.
- Boil, uncovered, until potatoes are almost tender but still with some firmness.
- Add onions, peas and carrots. Cook 1 minute longer.
- Drain contents of pot in large, fine strainer.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half.
- Split cooked or precooked brats lengthwise, then into ½-inch thick slices.
- Heat oil in 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add sliced brats.
- Cook until well browned, about 3 minutes, stirring often. Use slotted spoon to transfer brats to 2-quart mixing bowl.
- Add potatoes to skillet, cut side down. Cook until browned, about 2 minutes.
- Use slotted spoon to transfer them to bowl along with sliced green onions and remaining vegetables in strainer.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Add all ingredients to any fat remaining in skillet. Stir well.
- Heat through but do not boil.
- Pour over salad. Toss gently to combine. Adjust seasoning.
- Can be served immediately or refrigerated as long as 1 day. If refrigerated, toss gently to mix ingredients. Adjust seasoning.
- Can be served at room temperature or warm.
- If serving warm, reheat gently in non-stick skillet or in microwave oven on medium power (50%) until warm, not hot.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on serving plate. Mound potato salad on top.
- Alternately, salad can be served in shallow soup plates (omit lettuce).
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.