- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup minced chives or green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, garlic and bay leaf; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Coarsely puree soup in blender 1 cup at a time, about 20 seconds per batch (do not overprocess).
- Return soup to same saucepan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with chives and thyme and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.