- 1 roasting chicken (4 lb.) washed and dried
- 12 small new potatoes, peeled
- ½ tsp each salt and tarragon
- ¼ tsp fresh pepper
- ¾ cup tomato juice
- 5 tbsp margarine, divided
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 12 small white onions, blanched and peeled
- 1 cup artichoke hearts
- Rub inside of chicken with salt, tarragon and pepper.
- In range top casserole large enough to hold chicken comfortably, brown chicken in 3 tbsp margarine and the oil, turning carefully to avoid breaking skin.
- Meanwhile in covered medium saucepan, boil onions in water to cover for 5 minutes.
- Drain; set aside.
- In same saucepan boil potatoes in water to cover 2 minutes, drain.
- Remove chicken and add onions and potatoes to the casserole; sauté, stirring gently to scrape up brown bits from bottom, until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Return chicken to casserole.
- Combine tomato juice, bay leaf, parsley and thyme; pour over chicken.
- Cover tightly.
- Bake in preheated 325°F oven 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile in small skillet sauté mushrooms in remaining 2 tbsp margarine until lightly browned; add, with artichoke hearts, to chicken mixture.
- Cover tightly; bake 45 minutes longer or until chicken is tender.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.