Bacon and Cheese Corn Bread
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1½ tbsp (1½ packets) dry yeast
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup sour milk 
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- In a small bowl sprinkle the sugar with the warm water, add yeast and allow it to rise in a warm place until bubbling, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, eggs, cooking oil, sour milk and salt.
- Fold over once, then add the yeast.
- Turn onto floured board and knead till smooth.
- Cover and let rise, about 1 hour.
- After it has risen, punch down and add the bacon and cheese if desired. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pour mixture onto a greased and floured 9 x 11 inch baking dish.
- Allow the dough to rise again for about 20 minutes.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Let cool slightly, and cut in squares to serve.
- The corn bread tastes best when served warm.
- Serve on its own or a platter with cold cuts and a selection of cheeses.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.