Meat and vegetable stew
- 2 pounds stewing beef (preferably chuck)), in 1 large piece
- 2 pounds stewing veal or pork, preferably in 1 piece
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions, chopped
- cloves from 1 head of garlic, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 or 3 bouillon cubes
- 1 chorizo sausage, skinned, crumbled
- 1 chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 8 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ to 1 guajillo chile, soaked and puréed
- ground cumin, to taste
- grated rind of ½ orange
- 1 sweet potato (or chunk of pumpkin or other winter squash), peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ cabbage, thinly sliced, blanched
- 3 ears of corn, husked, each broken into 3 pieces
- 1 apple, cored, cut into bite- size pieces
- 2 turnips, quartered (optional)
- 10 pitted prunes
- juice of 1 to 2 oranges
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- pinch powdered ginger
- 8 ounces green beans
- 14 ounces cooked drained chickpeas
- 4 ounces thin pasta, rice or orzo, cooked
- 6 green onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds creamer potatoes, boiled until tender
- chipotle-tomato salsa
- guacamole (optional)
- chopped cilantro leaves
- Argentinean pumpkin-chile sauce
- Combine beef, veal or pork, the bay leaves, onions, garlic, cilantro, carrot and celery in a large pot and fill with water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Skim the scum that rises to the surface.
- Add bouillon cubes and cook for 1 hour, or until meat starts to become tender.
- Add chorizo, chicken, tomatoes, chile, cumin and orange rind; cook for 30 minutes.
- Skim off fat.
- Add sweet potato, zucchini, cabbage, corn, apple, turnips, prunes, orange juice, cinnamon and ginger; simmer 15 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
- Add green beans and chickpeas and heat through (the beans should be al dente; tender, but green, not gray).
- Season to taste with salt and skim off all surface fat.
- Serve in two courses: as a first course, ladle the hot broth over cooked pasta and garnish with sliced green onions.
- For main course, arrange the tender meats on a platter and carve.
- Dress vegetables with garlic vinaigrette and serve as an accompaniment, along with boiled potatoes.
- Offer salsa, guacamole, chopped onions, cilantro, and/or pumpkin sauce at the table.
- Serves 4, with leftovers for 3 or 4 more meals to store leftovers: refrigerate leftover meats and vegetables in their broth overnight.
- The next day, discard the layer of fat on the surface.
- Remove large pieces of meat and wrap tight; refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Ladle vegetables (keep chickpeas separate) into covered containers and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Strain broth into a clean container; refrigerate for up to 1 week (I recommend boiling it once or twice during the week, then straining it into a clean pot), or freeze for 2 to 4 months.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.