Choose pumpkin leaves that are young, yet fully developed, or substitute spinach, pigweed, kale, Swiss chard or other greens. Serve with cabbage and tomato sauce or Nshimba for a Zambian-style feast. May also serve with rice.
- Serves 5 – 6
- 2 lbs (1 kg) pumpkin leaves (about 2 qt. or 2 l) 
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 – 1½ cups peanuts (250 - 375 ml), coarsely ground with pestle or in blender 
- 1 tbsp margarine (15 ml) (optional)
- ½ tbsp salt
- Rinse well, devein, and chop the pumpkin leaves.
- Cook in 2 cups water (500 ml) 5 minutes.
- Add onion and tomato and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add peanuts and cook over low-medium heat about 15 minutes.
- Stirring often to avoid sticking.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Just before serving, drain any excess water and add margarine and salt.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.