Ground chicken and lowfat cheese help keep down the fat and calories in this tasty dish.
- Contributed by Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 12
- 1 lb chicken breast, ground
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ lb low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 cups instant corn flour (masa harina)
- 6 cups water
- In nonstick skillet, sauté chicken in oil over low heat until it turns white.
- Stir chicken constantly to keep it from sticking.
- Add onion, garlic, green pepper, and tomato.
- Cook chicken mixture through.
- Remove skillet from stove and let mixture cool in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, place flour in large mixing bowl and stir in enough water to make stiff, tortilla-like dough.
- When chicken mixture has cooled, mix in cheese.
- Divide dough into 24 portions.
- With your hands, roll dough into balls and flatten each into ½–inch thick circle.
- Put spoonful of chicken mixturvbncvbne in middle of each circle of dough and bring edges to center.
- Flatten ball of dough again until it is ½–inch thick.
- In very hot iron skillet, cook pupusas on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.