This recipe also may be used for muffins.
- Recipe by: McDougall
- Preparation time: 0:30
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1½ cup water, warm
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add optional spices, if desired.
- Mix honey and warm water together, then add to dry ingredients, stirring just until mixed.
- Pour into lightly oiled or non-stick 8-inch square baking dish.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.
- Helpful hints: various spices may be added for different flavors.
- Pieces of finely chopped or grated vegetables also may be added.
- Try finely chopped onion, finely chopped green pepper, chopped green chilis, chopped pimento, grated carrots, grated zucchini.
- Used alone or in various combinations, they add special appeal to this simple, tasty corn bread.
- If you have a nonstick baking pan, it is not necessary to oil it first.
- Increase baking powder to 4 teaspoons.
- Fill oiled or papered muffin tins two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.