Beet Soup - Serves 6
- 12 large beets
- 2 pounds short ribs
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- sour cream
- Wash the beets and scrape but do not peel them.
- Cut beets into small chunks.
- Place in a kettle with the remaining ingredients, except to sour cream.
- Cover with water, put a lid on the kettle and simmer 2½ hours over low heat.
- Strain through a sieve or colander.
- Serve cold with a topping of sour cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.