- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp yeast
- 3 tbsp shortening
- 5-6 cups flour
- 1 egg
- ½ cup raisins
- Dissolve yeast into ½ cup warm water.
- Let stand in a warm place for about 10 minutes.
- Beat in the sugar, salt, shortening, egg, raisins, and the rest of the water.
- Sift the flour and begin mixing it into the rest of the ingredients.
- Knead, shape and allow bread mixture to rise in oiled bowl until it has doubled in size.
- Punch down and allow mixture to rise again in the baking pan.
- To bake, place loaf in a cold oven.
- Turn the heat to 400°F.
- After 15 minutes, reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 25 minutes more.
- Remove the loaf at once from the pan and cool on a rack before storing.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.