Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- Serves 4 to 6.
- 1½ lbs (700 g) stew beef cut into 1-inch (3 cm) cubes
- 3 inch (8 cm) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and flattened with the side of a cleaver or knife, but not chopped
- 3 scallions (spring onions) white and green parts, cut into 2-inch (5 cm) lengths
- ½ cup (125 ml) peanut oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Szechwan peppercorns
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 3 tbs (45 ml) soy sauce
- ½ lb (250 g) Chinese noodles or fettuccine, cooked according to package directions
- 2 scallions (spring onions) white and green parts, thinly sliced
- In a mixing bowl combine the beef, ginger, garlic, the 3 scallions, hot pepper flakes, and Szechwan peppercorns.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large, heavy skillet until the surface of the oil shimmers and a few small wisps of smoke appear.
- Add the meat and seasonings and stir fry over maximum heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and soy sauce and continue stir frying for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in enough water to cover the meat; and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook covered for 1½ to 2 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- To serve, place a portion of noodles in the bottom of a soup bowl and ladle the beef on top of the noodles, making sure everyone gets a generous helping of the sauce, and sprinkle with the sliced scallions.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.