- 1 pound red kidney beans (dried)
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 1½ pounds hot or smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- ½ cup real butter (1 stick)
- hot cooked rice
- chopped raw green onions
- Rinse and sort the beans to remove hard beans or rocks.
- Cover with water and begin to cook over low heat.
- In a skillet, saute the sausage with vegetables and seasonings until tender.
- Skim and discard the fat and add the meat mixture to the beans.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 1½ to 2 hours, adding salt as necessary.
- When the beans are tender (add water if they become too dry or thick), take out one cup, mash and return to the pot to make the mixture creamy.
- Before serving, add a stick of butter.
- Serve over fluffy rice and top with chopped raw green onions for a delicious touch.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.