- 1 cup of dried red lentils
- 2 tablespoons of clarified butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely diced
- ½ green pepper, finely diced
- ½ hot jalapeno pepper, finely diced (more or less, depending on how hot you like it) or cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- Soak the lentils in 2 cups of water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, saute the diced onion and pepper in the butter until starting to brown.
- Add the tomato and stir over the heat for a minute.
- Add the lentils (and the water they are soaked in) to the saucepan along with two more cups of water.
- Add the cumin powder and salt (or chicken bouillon) to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender. Add more water while cooking, if necessary.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.