In Romanian: Sarmale cu varza dulce
- 1 large cabbage
- 1¾ lb / 750 g ground meat (mixture of pork and beef is recommended)
- 4 large onions
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 1 bread slice
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 5 - 6 tomatoes or 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- chopped dill
- 1 qt / 1 l Borscht
- sour cream
- Grind the meat with the crustless bread slice (previously soaked and squeezed dry) and a raw onion. Place in a bowl and mix with rice, dill, pepper, salt and finely chopped Onion slightly fried in two tablespoons of lard.
- Mix everything well. Core the cabbage with a sharp thin knife and then blanch it with borsh. Then carefully remove the cabbage leaves, one by one, so that they do not tear.
- Cut larger leaves in 2 or 3 and then place a little meat in each cabbage piece and roll in. The smaller the rolls are, the tastier they are.
- Place a layer of rolls in the pan (take a deep one), then cover with a layer of chopped (julienned) cabbage, then a layer of thinly sliced tomatoes. Do this layering until all the rolls are made.
- The last layer must be tomato slices or add tomato sauce. Add a heaping tablespoon of lard, pour the borscht and let simmer on top of the range for 30 minutes.
- Then place in the oven so that the liquid is reduced.
- Serve with sour cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.