Relleno in spanish means filling, since these are plantain croquettes filled with sweet black beans, they are called "rellenitos" as the ending "ito" means little. "Little plantain croquettes filled with black beans".
- Makes 8
- 2 cups of cooked plain black beans (about 1 cup of beans and 1 cup of liquid)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Wash plantains, cut them in 3, cook them with the rest of ingredients for 25 min.
- When cooked, mash with a potato masher to make the dough.
- Puree black beans, and add to a saucepan, heat for a minute and then add the rest of ingredients, let it simmer for about 8 minutes or untill it gets thick as a sauce.
- Make balls (like croquettes) with the plantain dough, can use a little wheat flour in hands to help the mixture not to stick to much in hands.
- Make a whole with your finger in to the croquette and fill it with the black bean sauce, close it perfectly and fry them.
- Serve warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.