- 1 C rhubarb -- Coarsely Chopped
- 1 C Sugar
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 1/2 Ts baking powder
- 1/2 Ts baking soda
- 1/2 Ts salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tb milk
- 4 Tb butter -- Melted
- 1/2 C hickory nuts -- Coarsely Chopped
- Let the rhubarb steep in 1/2 cup of the Sugar for 1 hour or more (even overnight) stirring once or twice.
- Toss the remaining Sugar and all of the dry ingredients together to mix thoroughly.
- Beat the egg lightly and stir into it 1/4 cup of the juice that the rhubarb will have exuded after steeping, as well as the milk and melted butter.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring just enough to mix.
- Fold in the rhubarb (if there is still more juice, drain it off) and the nuts.
- Scrape the batter into a buttered 8-inch loaf pan and bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 1 hour.
- Let the loaf rest in the pan 10 minutes before unmolding, then cool it on a rack.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.