- 1 1/2 1b or 600 g fresh rhubarb
- 4 oz or 100 g butter
- 3 oz or 75 g Sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 oz or 100 g flour
- 1 tsp or 5 ml ground ginger
For the topping:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Prepare the rhubarb by trimming off the leafy tops and the pale pink root slivers at the base of each stalk.
- Rinse and chop into 1in/2 cm chunks.
- cream the butter and Sugar together and when light and fluffy add the eggs one at a time heating well.
- Fold in the flour and the ground ginger.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 8in tin.
- Cover with the prepared rhubarb and sprinkle with Sugar.
- Make the topping by rubbing the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs and stirring in the Sugar.
- Spoon over the rhubarb.
- Bake for 3/4 hour until firm and springy to the touch.
- Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.