- ¾ cup vermicelli, 1" lengths
- 1½ tbsp melted butter
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups long-grain rice
- 3 cups boiling water or chicken broth
- 1¼ tbsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper or ground cinnamon for garnish
- In a 2-quart casserole, over low heat, sauté the vermicelli in butter and oil until golden, stirring constantly.
- Be careful not to burn the vermicelli.
- Stir in the rice and fry until glazed, about one minute.
- Add the boiling liquid and the salt and boil for one minute.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until liquid has been absorbed, about 15–18 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, cover and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with one of the spices and fluff with a fork right before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.