This is a good way to get vegetables into the meal plan. Serve with a mixed green salad and some whole wheat bread.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: the National Diabetes Education Program, an initiative of the National Institutes of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and other partners.
- Serves 8
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium red/green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked rice **brown is best!
- 1 x 3-lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 3½ cups chicken broth, fat removed
- 4 cups water
- saffron or Sazón, for color
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- olives or capers for garnish, if desired
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick pot.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the rice and sauté for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to brown.
- Add the chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, saffron (Sazón), and tomatoes.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer.
- Cover the pot and let the casserole simmer until the water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, corn, and beans, and cook for 8 – 10 minutes.
- When everything is hot the casserole is ready to serve.
- Garnish with olives or capers, if desired.
Nutritional information Edit
Per 1 cup serving:
- 30 Calories | 24g Carbs | 27g Protein | 14g Fat
- Daily Servings According to Diabetes Food Guide Pyramid: 1 Grains/Beans/Starchy Vegetable | 1 Meat | 1 Vegetable | 1 Fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.