- 60 g (2 oz) butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 680 g (1½) red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 x 425 g (15oz) cans beef consommé
- 280 ml (½ pt) dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- a narrow French loaf, sliced
- 230 g (8o z) cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Put the butter and oil in a large pan and heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook on a high heat until the onions turn a deep golden brown.
- Stir to prevent sticking.
- Add the sugar and reduce the heat.
- Cover the pan and cook gently for 20 minutes.
- Make the consommé up to 1.2 liters (2 pints) with water and add to the pan, with the wine.
- Simmer with out the lid for 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the bread, spread with butter and sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
- Put under the grill until the cheese has melted.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and put the toast on top.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.