Makes 6 servings.
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- pinch ground saffron
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups beef or chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground white pepper (optional)
- Cook onion in butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add rice and saffron; stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine; stir until absorbed. Stir in 1 cup stock. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until stock is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup stock and water, allowing each to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency. It will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, and salt and pepper, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.