Makes 6 servings.
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, diced (zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, green bell peppers, green peas, asparagus, eggplant, spinach or green beans)
- 2 cups chopped shallots or onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups crushed Italian plum tomatoes with juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook mixed vegetables, shallots and garlic with crushed red pepper in oil in large skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes, stirring often. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Melt margarine in same skillet. Add rice and Italian seasoning; stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup broth. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup broth and water, allowing each to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency. It will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in reserved vegetables, tomatoes with juice, parsley and cheese.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.