- 2 tbsp. softened butter or safflower oil
- 2 roasting chickens, 4 lbs. each
- 2 tsp. salt
- Bread stuffing
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 4 cups whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter or oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery stalks and leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. minced parsley
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp. sage, thyme or savory
- Stock or water to moisten
- Wash chickens and pat dry inside and out with paper toweling. Sprinkle each cavity with 1/2 tsp. salt. Hook wing tip into back to hold neck skin. If skin is short, fasten with skewer.
- Mix all ingredients for the stuffing except stock. Fill body cavity with stuffing and stock. Tie legs together with string, and then tie legs and tail together.
- Rub each chicken with 2 tsp. chili powder. Place chicken on rack in shallow pan, bread-side up, and roast at 325 until done, about 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
Contributed by: Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.