White meat turkey and savory stuffing without having to cook an entire bird — a perfect weekend or holiday meal with a minimum of fuss. Stuffing can be made one day in advance.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 apple, cored, medium (½-inch) dice
- 8 ounces (1 bunch) fresh spinach leaves, washed in cold water until free of dirt, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 boneless turkey breast (about 2.5 pounds)
- butcher's twine for tying up the rolled breast
- To make the stuffing, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium- high heat, then add the garlic and quickly sauté (do not burn!).
- Add the diced apple and sauté 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and sauté until wilted.
- Cook until all liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and add the breadcrumbs, gorgonzola cheese, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butterfly the turkey breast open with a sharp boning knife.
- Place it skin side down on a cutting board, cover it with plastic wrap, then pound it out lightly with a meat mallet to flatten it a bit and make it an even thickness.
- Remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle the breast with salt and pepper.
- Spread the stuffing over the (non-skin) surface of the breast to within ¾-inch from the edge.
- Roll it up as tightly as possible, finishing with the skin side up (towards you).
- Rub the entire top surface with the butter, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Using butcher's twine, tie up the turkey breast to keep its shape while roasting.
- Place the stuffed turkey breast on a buttered or oiled roasting pan (or on a baking rack in a pan).
- Roast, uncovered, until the stuffed turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, about 1½ hours.
- Cover the turkey with foil if the top begins to get too brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit, covered, for about 15 – 20 minutes to let it set before slicing.
- Snip off the butcher's twine, and serve.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (6 oz / 161 g-wt.):
- 250 calories (90 from fat) | 10g total fat | 5g saturated fat | 32g protein | 7g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 2g sugar) | 105mg cholesterol | 270mg sodium
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.