Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 10 oz pkg. frozen fava beans or baby lima beans
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic]], smashed
- 2 large bunches Swiss chard (about 3 lbs), tough stems trimmed, rinsed well and cut into 1-inch pieces (16 cups)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 7 ears fresh corn, kernels cut from cob (3½ cups)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped (⅔ cup)
- 3 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- hot pepper sauce for serving
Directions[edit | edit source]
- In medium saucepan, bring ½ cup water to a boil.
- Add fava beans and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in Swiss chard and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Discard garlic; set Swiss chard aside.
- In large heavy skillet, preferably cast-iron, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add corn and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely toasted, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in fava beans, scallions, sage, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook 1 minute more.
- Divide Swiss chard among serving plates and spoon succotash alongside.
- Serve with hot sauce.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.