Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ¼ cup whole almonds, blanched
- 1 large clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped lemon rind
- ¼ cup Italian parsley leaves
- ¾ cup basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 12 to 16 small brown onions, 2 to 2½ inches in diameter
- ¼ cup fresh bread crumbs
- Place the almonds on a nonstick baking sheet and roast 12 minutes, until golden.
- Coarsely grind the almonds in a food processor.
- Add the garlic, lemon rind, parsley, basil and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Process until the herbs are chopped fine and the mixture is well-blended.
- Add one-half cup olive oil and the Parmesan.
- Process until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the onions with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast in a 350°F oven, turning after about 15 minutes.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes total, until semi-soft.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small saute pan and add the bread crumbs.
- Cook over low heat until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- When the onions are done, remove them from the oven and slice them in half (do not peel).
- Place on a serving platter and spoon 1 to 1½ teaspoons of pesto onto each half.
- Sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories 203 | Fat 16g | Carbs 13g | Sodium 52mg | Fiber 3g
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.