Description[edit | edit source]
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Yield: 3 Cups
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 large Vidalia onion, halved vertically
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- non-stick aluminum foil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
- black pepper
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Dice 1 onion half; set aside.
- Cut remaining onion half into slices.
- Place onion slices and bell pepper, cut sides down, on a baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil; drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Broil onion slices and bell pepper halves 5 inches from heat about 10 minutes or until bell pepper looks blistered.
- Place bell pepper halves in a zip-top freezer bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skin.
- Peel bell pepper halves, and dice 1 half.
- Reserve diced bell pepper and remaining half.
- Dice roasted onion, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add reserved diced raw onion, and saute 10 minutes or until onion begins to brown.
- Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes, or until flour mixture is caramel-colored.
- Stir in chicken broth and creole seasoning.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly,until thickened.
- Process gravy mixture and reserved bell pepper half in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Combine gravy mixture, reserved diced roasted bell pepper, diced roasted onion, basil, and black pepper.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.