Roasted Sweet Onion Dip from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, licensed in the public domain
- Cook Time: About 20 minutes
- Serves: 8
- 2 large sweet onions (Vidalia or Walla Walla), peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 whole garlic head
- ⅓ cup non-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, packed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat an oven to 425 °F.
- Place the onion in a medium bowl and drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the salt. Toss to coat.
- Just remove the white paper skin from the garlic head but do not peel or separate cloves.
- Wrap and seal garlic head in foil.
- Place the onion and garlic on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Chop the onion and place in a medium bowl. Separate garlic cloves and squeeze out pulp then discard skins.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt, sour cream, cilantro and lemon juice to onion mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Serve with fresh vegetable sticks or potato, corn, or pita chips. Reserve the remaining vegetable-based dip in the refrigerator.
Servings: 2 ¼ cups or 3 teaspoons
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour