Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Diabetic Living Diet
- Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 1 tbsp olive oil (used only in the tradition method, not for the slow cooker)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 3 cans chicken broth, reduced-sodium
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 14½ oz can tomatoes, fire-roasted, diced
- 1 can white kidney beans
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp oregano, fresh
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a 4-quart dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, squash, and undrained tomatoes.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add beans, zucchini, broccoli, oregano, salt, and pepper; cook for 5 minutes more.
- If desired, sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Slow cooker version Edit
- Omit olive oil.
- In a 3½- to 4-quart slow cooker combine onion, celery, carrot, garlic, broth, squash, tomatoes, beans and dried oregano (if using).
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3½ to 4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting.
- Add zucchini, broccoli, fresh oregano (if using), salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes more.
- Serve as above.
Nutritional information Edit
- 92 Calories | 2g Total Fat | 0g Saturated Fat | 641mg Sodium | 16g Carbs | 4g Dietary Fiber | 0mg Cholesterol | 6g Protein
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable | ½ starch | ½ lean meat
- Carb choices: 1
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.