Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan. This aromatic, savory dish is made and cooked with brown rice, authentic herbs, walnuts, and soy sauce and is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner as it keeps a wild taste with the herbs, rice, and vegetables.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 ¾ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium, chopped onion, red, white, or yellow only
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ cup small walnuts
- 2 ½ tablespoon chopped, fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups mushrooms, optional
- Wash and drain the rice and place it in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Let the rice dry out somewhat and begin to toast lightly, then add the water and salt.
- Bring to a boil for 1 minute, then cover and cook over low heat without stirring for 40 minutes.
- Let the rice rest for 10 minutes before removing the lid. Fluff the rice with a rice paddle or fork.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the walnuts and rosemary and sauté about 5 minutes longer.
- Add the soy sauce and mix well. Combine the sautéed mixture with the rice.
- Serve immediately, but pair this rice dish with any main dish, or reheat in a casserole. Add 2 cups sliced mushrooms along with the walnuts, if desired.