- Serving will be enough for 6-8 people.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (finely chopped)
- 2 large boiled and peeled fresh beets, or canned beets (cut into ¼-inch pieces)
- 1 pound (about 3 medium) boiled potatoes (cut into ¼-inch pieces)
- 2 pound (about 2) sour dill pickles (cut in small cubes of ¼ inch)
- 3 fillet of pickled herring (drained and cut into ¼-inch pieces)
- 4 pound of boiled beef (or cooked ham, veal or lamb) --- (cut into small pieces)
- 5 large, tart red apple (cut into ¼-inch pieces)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (cut into small pieces)
- 3 teaspoons of powdered mustard
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of warm water
- 1 cup of sour cream
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered mustard with ½ tablespoon of sugar and stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of warm water, or enough to make a thick paste.
- Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Now stir in the sour cream and the remaining sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, beets, potatoes, herring, meat and apple.
- Add sour cream dressing and toss together lightly but thoroughly until all ingredients are well mixed with the dressing.
- Traditionally, rossolye is mounted high on a square or round serving plate, garnished with sliced hard-cooked eggs, and chilled.
- Serve as a first course or a part of zakuska table.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.