German mixed berry pudding. "Rubies in springtime". A traditional German dessert posted in response to a recipe request. I estimated the measurement of the cornstarch
- 2¼ lbs currants or raspberries or brambleberries or strawberries or sour cherries or plums (assorted red fruits, in any combination)
- ½ cup sugar (or more to taste, depending on the tartness of the fruit)
- 1 quart water
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup rum (optional)
- milk or cream, to serve with the dessert
- Wash fruit and pick through for stems (reserve ¾ cup).
- Combine the remaining fruit with water (reserving 1 cup), and sugar in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and cook fruit over medium heat until done but still holding its shape.
- Sweeten to taste with more sugar, if needed.
- Stir corn starch into reserved water until dissolved and stir into the juice.
- Bring to boil, cook until thickened, and remove from heat.
- Blend in the rum if desired.
- Mash reserved, uncooked fruit in blender and stir into the thickened juice.
- Eat Rote Grütze either hot or cold and serve with cold milk or cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.