- 1 PKG. dry yeast
- 1/4 CUP LUKEWARM water
- 1/4 TSP. Sugar
- 3 1/3 CUP ALL PURPOSE flour
- 1/2 TSP. salt
- 3/4 CUP LUKEWARM water
- 1 CUP MELTED butter
- butter a large round pan and set aside.
- Prepare yeast with 1/4 cup lukewarm water and 1/4 tsp. Sugar and set aside.
- Sift flour and salt into large bowl; make a well in the middle. Add prepared yeast. Begin mixing by hand slowly add lukewarm water. Knead well until dough forms a ball of medium consistency. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 14 equal parts, roll into round balls, cover and let stand for 1/2 hour. Melt 1/2 lb. butter in saucepan.
- Roll out 4 balls into about 6 inch circles, STACK one on top of the other, brushing EACH with melted butter excluding the top layer. Let stand briefly; then roll the stack out on slightly floured table to just a little larger than the bottom of your pan. Place in pan and brush top with melted butter.
- Mix filling spread evenly on top of the dough right to the edge of pan.
- Now roll out one ball as thinly as you can; sprinkle with butter and gather it loosely in folds, and with a slight pull elongate it.
- Staring from the centre of the pan, place this dough over filling in pan, circling it to look like a pinwheel.
- Repeat with remaining balls until you have reached the outer edge of your pan. Sprinkle with remaining butter very generously.
- Cover with a tea towel and set Bourek OVER (not in) a pan of very not water and let stand for 20 minutes to rise. Take bourek to the oven and Bake in a preheated oven of 300 F. for 45 minutes; until nicely browned.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.