Rice with vermicelli
- 450 g (1 lb) long-grain rice
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) boiling water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oil, for frying
- 50 g (2 oz) vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium frying pan, crush the vermicelli by hand and fry over medium heat for 1 or 2 minutes.
- When vermicelli becomes brownish, add 150ml (¼ pint) water, cover pan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Set aside in pan.
- Wash rice, drain and place in a medium saucepan.
- Add 400ml (14fl oz) of boiling water, olive oil, salt and cover pan.
- Boil for 10 minutes, until water has evaporated.
- Add the cooked vermicelli to the rice by folding in gently, cover and simmer for 10 minutes on very low heat.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.