- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- About 1 cup milk
- vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Stir in Sugar, then add egg, butter and just enough milk to form a soft, but not sticky, dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until smooth.
- Divide dough in 8 to 12 pieces; shape each piece into a ball. Cover and let stand 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape balls into flat cakes.
- Using the back of a metal spoon, make a shallow indentation in the top of each cake.
- Heat a deep-fat fryer two-thirds full of oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry a few cakes at a time for 5 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve fritters in individual bowls topped with syrup.
- Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring slowly to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Turn heat down and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until mixture thickens to a syrup.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- For a more distinct rum flavor, you may wish to omit the rum while the syrup is cooking, then add the rum after you remove the saucepan from the heat.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.