- 1½ lb lean rump or chuck roast
- 2 cups cooked chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 ea medium head cabbage,shredded
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste,
- In a large soup pot, cover the beef, tomatoes, onion, bay leaf, and garlic with the cold water.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- Simmer, covered, for 2 – 3 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and add the cabbage, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Before serving, add the lemon juice and garnish each serving with a dollop of the sour cream.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.