Braised onions and carrots
- serves 4 to 6
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings (1 cup)
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded ad finely chopped (see below)
- 8 small carrots, scraped and sliced lengthwise into ⅛-inch thick strips (2 cups)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup of finely chopped scallions including 2 inches of the green stems
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter in a heavy 10- to 12-inch stainless-steel or enameled skillet set over high heat.
- Drop in the onion rings and stirring them frequently, cook over moderate heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Add the tomato, raise the heat and broil briskly, uncovered, until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
- Then stir is the carrots, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Pour enough water to barely cover (about ½ to ¾ cup) the carrots, bring to a boil and cover the skillet tightly.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are just tender.
- Transfer the carrots and the sauce to a heated serving bowl, sprinkle with chopped scallions and cilantro, and serve at once.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.