Saffron Rissotto with Asparagus and Peas from the Public Health Cookbook—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 16 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¾ cup dry white wine (may use water instead)
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups Arborio rice or long-grain rice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup low-fat grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan then add asparagus and cook for 2–3 minutes until crisp-tender. Use a slotted spoon to remove asparagus and set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low then stir in the wine and saffron and simmer, uncovered.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes or until translucent. Stir in ½ cup of the broth to rice and continue to stir until broth is absorbed (about 8–10 minutes.) Continue to add ½ cup of broth at a time and stir often until all of the broth is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Add the cooked asparagus and peas and stir to combine.
- Serve with an optional sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.