- 2 large bundles of salad leaves
- 3 – 4 big tomatoes (or 8 – 9 small ones)
- 6 potatoes
- 1 can of chickpeas (“pois chiches”)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 small tins of tuna
- 3 big lemons
- 3 – 4 big onions (6 small ones)
- lots of garlic
- black pepper
- 1 tin of anchovies (expensive, and therefore optional)
- Canned chickpeas should be reconstituted in lemon juice first for better flavor, so you will want to soak the peas in the juice of the lemons for and hour or two prior to prep (if you don’t have time or can’t find lemons, add salt generously to this salad to balance flavors).
- Wash leaves, peel them off their stems, and drain as thoroughly as possible.
- Sauté the garlic and the onions together in the oil.
- Mix together with the remaining ingredients, including some leftover lemon juice.
- You won’t need to add oil or vinegar because some of the oil from the onions and tuna inevitably gets into the salad, along with the lemon juice (which takes place of the vinegar).
- Boiled potatoes are often easier to peel.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.