Fruit Compote with Lichee Nuts
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut in 1-inch dice
- 1 cup cantaloupe, cut in ½-inch dice
- 1 cup oranges, peeled and very thinly sliced
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced.
- ½ cup canned lichee nuts
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pure vanilla extract
- In a 2-quart glass or china bowl: combine: 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut in 1-inch dice, 1 cup cantaloupe, cut in ½-inch dice, 1 cup oranges, peeled and very thinly sliced and ½ cup strawberries, sliced.
- Mix the fruits so that they are well blended.
- Pour ½ cup canned lichee nuts across top of fruit.
- In a 1-pint saucepan: combine: ½ cup sugar, ½ cup water, ¼ tsp salt and 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil and boil hard for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract to the syrup.
- Pour the piping hot syrup over the fruit.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Fill a small cruet or sprinkler bottle with pure vanilla extract.
- Bring the salad to the table in the bowl along with the cruet of vanilla.
- Fill individual compote dishes with the fruit.
- Sprinkle a few drops vanilla over the fruit as it is being served.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.