- 100g (4oz) dried brown lentils
- 600ml (1 pint) water
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (stems discarded)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Wash, sort lentils and soak in plenty of cold water for 2 hours.
- Place lentils, bay leaf and cumin seeds in a medium saucepan.
- Add 600ml (1 pint) boiling water and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain and leave to one side.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Next add the warm lentils and chopped parsley. Mix well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.